When starting a nutrition journey, I find that many people are apprehensive about missing their favorite foods! We talk about finding that balance. It isn’t about how strict you can be in “X” amount of time. It is about making lifestyle changes that are sustainable. What if you made just one healthy decision every day for one week? Then, what about two? Three? As time goes on it gets easier and your goals become closer!
Another thing I learn about families that start their nutrition journey is, just about every family has a “pizza night”. Why?! BECAUSE PIZZA IS DELICIOUS (straight from the mouth of a nutrition coach). One slice of a 14” thin crust, cheese pizza contains 200 calories and let’s be honest… who is only have one piece? Not me. What if we can hit the protein hard, have less fat, and WAY less carbohydrates for pizza night? Or in other words, have your ‘(pizza) cake’ and eat it too! Sign me up!
Ground Turkey Pizza Crust
*Makes 6 Servings!
- 1 pound turkey ground
- 2 cups mozzarella grated and loosely packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons your favorite marinara or pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 olives sliced
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 8 slices pepperoni / turkey pepperoni
- Sliced Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine turkey, 2 cups mozzarella, egg and garlic powder. Be sure to reserve at least a 1/2 cup of the cheese for the topping.
- Press the mixture flat into a greased cast-iron skillet.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully drain accumulated grease.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the cooked turkey mixture.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining mozzarella over the crust, then layer toppings.
- Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake in oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve!
Add on all of your favorite vegetables and enjoy THE BEST time of the day: family dinner. Don’t forget to take a picture of your creation and share it with your friends using #CFTCNutrition
~Nutrition Coach Kayla