Raise your hand if you feel, more often than not, that you’re on the go from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. I don’t have enough hands to raise to show that I identify with this on so many levels. I mean, deep levels.
Sometimes, the last thing we want to think about in our overly busy day is the amount of time sticking to our nutrition plan is going to take. Not only that, but commuting to and from work (in a different city) presents additional obstacles. If only we could all work from home with perfectly constructed meals, snacks, and everything else ready for us!
Did you know… that one of the top 5 reasons that most people do not stick with their nutrition goals is due to perceived time constraints and the feeling that a balanced lifestyle will consume more time than they have to give?
It is our goal at Crossfit Tri-Cities to help each of you win the long-game, create sustainable change, and see results that make you proud. Part of that goal is to empower each of you to unlock those results by preparing you for the obstacles that everyday life throws your way. So, naturally, we’ve got some tips and tricks to help you succeed pulled together by people just like you.
Top 3 Ways the Busy Can Set Themselves up for Success
- Preparation – “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail”
- Meal Prep: This doesn’t need to be every meal – maybe just breakfast and lunch. Make a few servings of overnight oats to grab-n-go in the morning on your way out the door. Maybe even put together a few servings of your favorite well-balanced meal, throw them into some tupperware, and grab it on your way out the door in the morning. No need to go overboard.
- Day Prep: The night before, think about the day ahead. Will you be rushing out the door? Will you have time for lunch during normal working hours? Are you going out for apps & drinks with co-workers at night? Giving tomorrow a few minutes of thought will help you understand how to set yourself up for success.
- Mental Prep: One of the biggest battles here is what happens when we aren’t prepared, on a plan, and your stomach starts to sound like a rainstorm is upon us? Routine, for many of us, is a saving grace mentally. Following some form of structure is a mental relief and proper preparation can give your mind the break that it needs while adopting a new, balanced lifestyle.
2. Identify Your “Go To”
Look, everyone has a “go to”. A “go to” song, pair of shoes, shirt, drink of choice, you name it. Identify some of those for yourself to help set you up for success when it comes to nutrition & your busy life:
What are your go-to snacks? (mine is anything and everything Quest bar) – Almost every convenient store & gas station has them
What are your go to restaurants near work that provide balanced options? (hint: you could just Google this once and make your list or get fancy and ask that sassy Siri to help you out)
Ask yourself these questions – they are a macro-saver in the middle of the day or when you’re caught off guard.Hydrate to Dominate
3. Get yourself a big water bottle and leave it at work. If you’re the person who gets a big water bottle and swears that they are going to take it to and from work each day, more power to you if you can actually hold onto that habit. Many cannot – so keep one at work so that you can hydrate to dominate your balanced lifestyle.
Again, we are all busy people. Work, kids, family members, neighbors, etc. We are more connected and busier than ever before but that doesn’t mean your individual goals need to take a back seat. You can be busy, live your life the way you want to live it, and mold your balanced lifestyle to meet the needs of your busy schedule.
Kayla E. Pollock Co-Owner at CrossFit Tri-CitiesNutrition LeadUIC MS CP ProgramGraduation Date: December 2020